Suggested Rides

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
The 865 Loop from : http://maggievalleyrides.com/the-86...CDeuEUV5lK-lONqON_vA34YSR0jLWaGCV3TcJuRqzy8jg

Maggie Valley Rides: A Riders Guide To The Smokey Mountains. <<<< awesome info here.

one riders comment:
Tail of the dragon! Photo from 2017. My wife & I have been there a couple of times from Ontario, Canada. But it’s the ride there & back that will keep us coming. Skyline Drive through Shenandoah NP continuing on to Blue Ridge Parkway is where it’s at!!! From there, catching the Great Smoky Mountains NP to the dragon. All around the dragon area is sweet. We stay in Tellico Plains. It’s close enough to the dragon rides, but nice & quiet in the fall. This way, we get to ride the Cherohala Skyway several times.

The865LoopSmokeyMtsBlueRidgeParkway.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Another riders thoughts:
If you've never ridden the dragon....ya gotta do it at least once & get the pic. But I'll take the Cherohala Skyway any day over the Dragon!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Maggie Valley 240 mile loop.
If you're staying in Bryson City NC here's a 240 miles loop with scenic views and lots of curves it includes: 2 sections of Moonshiner 28, Fonatana Dam Visitor Center, The Dragon, Bald River Falls, Cherohala Skyway & Wayah Rd.

MaggieValley240MileLoop.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member

Maggie Valley Rides

Gary Bohler · 1h ·

I'm working on a new ride page - Mars Hill Loop the route includes: NC 209 the Rattler, NC 208, Revere Rd, Big Laurel Rd, NC 213, NC 251 & Newfound Rd - Revere Rd is one of my favorites in this area, it has what I call sweeper switchbacks - Big Laurel Rd is a winding road running alongside Big Laurel Creek - Newfound Rd has a section of nice curves as you go up and over the mountain on the way back to Maggie Valley.

MarsHillLoop.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Maggie Valley Rides
The Rides Page. Awesome.

Here is an image of the rides listed. Links to each and more at above link.

MaggieValleyRides_RidesPage.jpg

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
How about a castle tour? Looks like a blast. And some are bed and breakfast. Spend the night in a castle, yeah I could dig that. :D

CastlesOfOhioRoadTripMap.jpg

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
Plan to see this in April or May.
Bridal Veil falls, Hwy 64 from Highlands NC toward Franklin NC, located just out of Highlands.

BridalVeilFallsHighway64NC.jpg

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
Suggestion from NC ridgerunner on nettractortalk.

If you travel the Blue Ridge Parkway, I highly recommend Linville Falls and Linville Gorge sometimes known as "Grand Canyon of the East". Fantastic photo ops.

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
Another Maggie Valley ride I hope to do soon.

CHEROHALA SKYWAY LOOP
Distance: 247 miles
Road type: scenic, twisty, sweepers
Travel time: 8 -9 hrs
Ride includes: a section of Moonshiner 28, The Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.

This route has it all - from the twists and turns of the The Dragon – to the sweeping curves and scenic overlooks on the Cherohala Skyway.

First stop is Fontana Dam where a scene from the movie “A Walk in the Woods” was filmed (restrooms are available at the Visitor Center) - next stop Deal Gap before taking on the Dragon - Vonore TN or Tellico Plain have a few places to choose from for lunch before getting on the Skyway.

No ride on the Skyway would be complete a without short detour through the Tellico River Gorge to Bald River Falls then back to the Skyway on to Robbinsville NC then back to Maggie Valley.
*There are no services on the Skyway so plan accordingly.

cherohala-skyway-loop-rev-6_orig.jpg

CHEROHALA SKYWAY LOOP2.JPG

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
another interesting loop. :D

THE MISSING LINK III
Distance: 288 miles
Road type: scenic, sweepers
Travel time: 8 to 10 hrs.
This route includes the Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Pkwy West,
Foothills Pkwy "Missing Link" & NC 209 The Rattler

"From March 14 through May 21, the road will be fully closed from the Look Rock Observation Tower parking area west to the Highway 129 intersection near Chilhowee Lake. From June 1 through August 31, the road will be fully closed from the Look Rock Observation Tower parking area east to the Highway 321 intersection near Walland, TN." The route has been modified to bypass the closed section - once all the road work is completed the route will be updated again.
This route combines the scenic views of the Cherohala Skyway and Foothills Parkway with the twists and turns of NC 209 The Rattler - in late 2018 the newest section of the Foothills Parkway known as the "Missing Link" was opened from US 321 in Walland TN to US 321 in Wears Valley TN adding 17 miles of new roadway and never before views of the Smoky Mountains.
There are numerous overlooks on the skyway and parkway to stop and take pictures.
Area Restaurants

TheMissingLinkIII.JPGthe-missing-link-iii-map-rev-6-5_orig.jpg

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
Maggie Valley to Fontana Dam.

posted on FB:
When I go to The Dragon I always make a stop at the Fontana Dam Visitor Center - a couple of reasons 1)good place to stop for a short break 2)restrooms (especially after drinking too much coffee that morning
😮
you can also ride to the base of the dam see link https://goo.gl/maps/RCbWHjD6joRyiSyr7 you can ride across the dam to the parking area then back.

FontanaDamTN1.jpgFontanaDamTN2.jpgMaggieValleyToFontanaDam.JPG

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
I highly recommend The Foothills Parkway. Better than the Dragon. In fact next time I am in the area I will skip the Dragon unless I have to ride it to get to another ride like Foothills or Cherahola skyway.

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
The Rattler from Ferguson Supply is 290 curves is 24 miles to Hot Springs - if you want to add some curves to the ride take a look at this route which includes: Coleman Mountain Rd, Iron Duff Rd, Panther Creek Rd & Fines Creek Rd.
https://goo.gl/maps/y6k6Xeo22UyhZ5WH9

MaggieValleyTheRattler24miles.jpg

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
On an average. How long does it take to ride the brp? I know this is kinda a vague question since there are a lot of stops

Multiple answers from kind folks on FB.:

Allow two full days with only gas stops. The part from Cherokee to Asheville is by far the best in every way. The farther north you go, the less awesome but still uncluttered and non-commercially peaceful. Try to spend three days.
I can't recommend Skyline. If at the beginning of the trip, sure, it's a nice lead-up but after the BRP, it doesn't do much to hold your attention.

=================
I found this to be a good reference
https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/plan-your-parkway-trip/

======================

At nearly 470 miles long, driving the entirety of the Blue Ridge Parkway will almost certainly be a multi-day trip for most people. The speed limit is just 45 miles per hour for most of the route, though it'll occasionally drop to as low as 25 mph. Driving straight through with no breaks would take about 11 hours.

========================

We did it in three days, including Skyline Drive.

============================

Obviously everyone chooses their own pace. Weekdays have much less traffic. If you get behind a slow car, just pull over at the next overlook and enjoy the views before continuing. There are no gas stations on the parkway so be aware of your fuel. It depends on how many stops you want to make. There are overlooks every few miles and great towns to stop in including but not limited to Mt. Airy, Boone, blowing rock, little Switzerland, Asheville and many more. Also worth a stop at Mt. Mitchell. Several twisty roads run right off the parkway including NC 80, 226A and 181 and well worth a detour down and back before proceeding on the parkway I would spend at least 2-3 days or more fo enjoy it all. I rode the entire parkway this time last year from the northern end in Waynesboro VA down to Cherokee with overnight stops in Mt Airy, Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville and then finally in Maggie valley (past the end of the BRP in Cherokee) There are closures due to construction so be prepared for detours. The closures are posted on their website:
https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

=========================

We took 1 day from Cherokee to Boone, another day from Boone to Skyline drive, and a 3rd day to do skyline drive.

=====================

t's great to ride the entire length, and Skyline too.
But if you are limited, the part from I-26 to Cherokee is almost constant vista views.
Roughly 80 miles. Check for closures, seems there is one between Maggie and Cherokee.
I suggest to folks to ride that part, then turn around and ride back so you can see the great views from the other way.

===========================

Asheville to Cherokee is by fair, the prettiest ride on the parkway
It's almost like being out west

=============================

It normally takes us 2 days to do it. with stops. The last 2 times we rode it we started in Cherokee and rode north. We normally make to West Jefferson on the first day and stay there, as there are several motels in town.

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
CHEROHALA SKYWAY LOOP
Distance: 247 miles
Road type: scenic, twisty, sweepers
Travel time: 8 -9 hrs
Ride includes: a section of Moonshiner 28, The Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.

This route has it all - from the twists and turns of the The Dragon – to the sweeping curves and scenic overlooks on the Cherohala Skyway.

First stop is Fontana Dam where a scene from the movie “A Walk in the Woods” was filmed (restrooms are available at the Visitor Center) - next stop Deal Gap before taking on the Dragon - Vonore TN or Tellico Plain have a few places to choose from for lunch before getting on the Skyway.

No ride on the Skyway would be complete a without short detour through the Tellico River Gorge to Bald River Falls then back to the Skyway on to Robbinsville NC then back to Maggie Valley.

Area Restaurants

CherohalaSkywayLoop.jpg

Wingman

3 Wheel Fun
Staff member
Maggie Valley to Shade KY ...

Sometimes before or after spending a few days riding in Maggie Valley I'll head up to Slade Ky to Nada Tunnel and Red River Gorge - the route has it all - tight curves, rolling hills, sweepers, winding scenic views, a ghost town, switchbacks - it also includes: The Dragon Slayer 160, River Dragon KY 28, Eye of the Dragon (Nada Tunnel Red River Gorge) & Pressman's Home.

maggieValleyToShadeKY.JPG